Wrexham Men’s Hockey Club was formed in 1896 and the Ladies first records are dated in 1898, playing in Gresford.
Wrexham can be proud of its long and continuous existence. The earliest references are to a pitch in Percy Road; later references indicate that hockey was played at Code y Glyn, near the main entrance to Erddig Park. In 1919 a pitch was obtained adjacent to Wrexham Racecourse on land between the town end and Crispin Lane, during which time the team changed in the pavilion of the Turf Bowling Club.
Various other sites were used until the formation of the Wrexham Sports Club.
In 1950, to conform with the new club, the colours were changed to green and white shirts, white shorts and red stockings, thus abandoning the scarlet shirts and navy shorts which had been Wrexham’s colours since the early ‘twenties’. Prior to this the club played in white shirts with a blue ‘V’ at the front.
The Club then moved to the new Wrexham Sports Club in Bryn Estyn Lane in the late 1970’s and from this base they ran a successful Tournament at the Club
The Club has organised international matches:-
Wales v. Scotland in 1909 and 1913; Wales v. England in 1959 and 1968; Wales v. Scotland in 1972.
In more recent years both clubs have had their ups and downs, mainly due to the fact that games now have to be played on astro-turf pitches and until the 1990’s pitches were at Mold and Deeside.
In 1995 Wrexham Ladies, Men and Juniors all joined forces to create Wrexham Glyndŵr Hockey Club
In November 1998 Wrexham Glyndŵr Hockey Club held its Centenary Dinner at The Holt Lodge Hotel.